Contest Rules and Criteria
Instructions to Contestants
Paddle out on five minute warning.
Stay out of previous heat line up until your heat starts.
Catching a wave before your heat starts = disqualification
START OF HEAT: 1 Horn blast and GREEN FLAG
FIVE MINUTE WARNING: 1 Horn blast and YELLOW FLAG
END OF HEAT: 2 Horn blasts and RED FLAG
30 - 45 MINUTE HEATS. 10 WAVES MAXIMUM. 3 TOP SCORES TALLIED.
Judging and Tallying Criteria
1. Judging is by a 3 judge panel for 1st - 6th places in each division.
2. Highest scores will be given for the most difficult and inventive controlled
maneuvers in the most critical section of the biggest and/or best wave for the
3. Sportsmanship and safety will also be considered.
4. Only the first 10 waves on which a contestant establishes control will be
5. After catching 10 waves the contestant will be required to leave the contest
area or be subject to disqualification.
6. The 3 waves receiving the highest scores will be totalled to determine
7. Scores of the 4th and subsequent waves will be used to break ties.
8. Interference is defined as having adversely affected the ride of another
contestant who had already established right of way and control on a given
9. The contestant judged (by at least two judges) to have interfered will receive
a score of zero for that wave and it WILL be counted as one of his or her
3 tallied waves.
HANDBOARD: any wave riding device, made of any materials, that is worn on
the hand(s), is less than 16 inches (40 cm) long and is without fins or skegs.
PAEPO BOARD: any wave riding device made with a core of natural materials and is less than
55 inches (140 cm) and is used without a leash or skegs.